10 Short quotes about happiness to fight away your blues
When you are feeling low and the world seems a dark place, you can find inspiration in the words of others and sometimes bring a little light to your darkest moment. Dark thoughts just breed more of the same, so lighten your mood with these poignant quotes about happiness and fight away those blues:
1. “Happiness is like jam. You can’t spread even a little without getting some on yourself” – Anonymous
Happiness is infectious; there is no doubt about that. So, if you are feeling blue, go out and find some happy people to be with or, even better, do something to make another person happy and it will reflect back on you, in your own happiness.
2. “Happiness is the secret to beauty, there is no beauty without happiness” – Christian Dior
There is nothing more beautiful, than a smile and even the most stunningly beautiful women in the world will not look attractive without one. Happiness in itself is attractive, so put on a smile and radiate some joy.
3. “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” — Mahatma Gandhi
Sadness can often come from indecision, so if you can’t see a way to deal with a difficult situation, take Mahatma Gandhi’s advice, go with your heart and stay true to yourself. Pretending or lying for the sake of other people’s opinions, will not bring you happiness.
4. “To fill the hour—that is happiness” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
American essayist and poet, Ralph Waldo Emerson, seems to really hit the nail on the head when citing this quote. If you are feeling blue, then the worst thing you can do is sit and brood on it. Any empty and unoccupied mind will only make things seem worse.
5. “Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence” – Aristotle
If you don’t make your own happiness a priority, then you may not ever find it. Happy people chose to do the things that make them happy, whether that’s their job, their hobbies or even their relationships.
6. “Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity” – Carl Gustav Jung
You would never even know that happiness feels good, if you never experienced sad days. You have to take the bad days along with the good; it’s what can make the good ones great.
7. “Happiness does not consist in having what you want, but in wanting what you have” – Confucius
When you feel unhappy because you have lost something, then look around you and be grateful for what you have. You can be happy and still not yet have all the things that you desire.
8. “Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy” – Cynthia Nelms
This quote might be a bit blunt and to the point, but there is a lot of truth in it. Being blue doesn’t actually achieve anything, so you might as well cheer up. At least, being happy will make other people want to be around you.
9. “What a wonderful life I’ve had! I only wish I’d realized it sooner” – Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
When you look back at all the wonderful things that you have done and look forward to all the wonderful things yet to come, you can start to see that today’s problems and worries aren’t all that important after all.
10. “Most folks are about as happy, as they make up their minds to be” – Abraham Lincoln
And a final word from Abraham Lincoln sums up the truth about happiness. If you want to cheer yourself up, then you have to start by making the decision that you don’t want to be sad anymore. Sounds too simple to be true, but you have to make a start somewhere.
What are your favorite short quotes about happiness? Feel free to share them in the comment section below.