10 Motivational quotes about loving yourself
If anyone is going to judge you unfairly and give you a hard time, then it will probably be you! It is a fact that most of us are overly self-critical and run ourselves down, so if you are trying to find ways to love yourself more, read these ten inspirational quotes and find the motivation that you need to start being kinder to you.
1. “Low self-esteem is like driving through life with your hand-break on.” – Maxwell Maltz
This great quote from cosmetic surgeon, Maxwell Maltz, really does sum up a very good reason to love you. If you do have a low self-esteem, it is going to hold you back in life and you will never have the courage to do all the things that you are capable of.
2. “You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” – Buddha
There’s not really much we can add this quote, but, if anyone in the world does deserve your love, then it is you.
3. “Self-care is never a selfish act—it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer to others.” – Parker Palmer
Author and activist, Parker Palmer, expresses here an answer to all those who think that to self-love is to be selfish. It is, of course not selfish at all, to look after yourself, because if you don’t, how will you ever be able to look after others?
4. “It`s not your job to like me – it`s mine.”
Don’t take to heart what others think of you, it is your own opinion that really counts. This quote from author and speaker, Byron Katie, brings that message home quite succinctly.
5. “To establish true self-esteem, we must concentrate on our successes and forget about the failures and the negatives in our lives.” – Denis Waitley
Or, to put another way, stop beating yourself up about nothing! Forgive yourself, your mistakes, focus on the positives and let the past stay in the past. That’s the best way to move forward and begin to start loving yourself.
6. “A healthy self-love means we have no compulsion to justify to ourselves or others why we take vacations, why we sleep late, why we buy new shoes, why we spoil ourselves from time to time. We feel comfortable doing things which add quality and beauty to life.” – Andrew Matthews
You answer only to yourself, at the end of the day, so don’t feel guilty about giving yourself treats; you deserve it!
7. “You’re always with yourself, so you might as well enjoy the company.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
Fashion designer and former princess, Diane Von Furstenberg, states a fact that we often overlook. You have to be with yourself all your life, so you might as well come to like that person that you are.
8. “There is nothing noble about being superior to some other man. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self.” – Hindu Proverb
This wonderful ancient Hindu proverb talks as much about self-discovery as it does about self-love. You answer to no one but yourself, and if you love yourself, then you can learn to grow as a person as well.
9. “Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.” – Benjamin Spock
This one’s from the well-known and sometimes controversial, American paediatrician, Benjamin Spock, That’s not the one with the pointy ears from Star Trek! But, as we all know, in any loving relationship, there must be trust, so trust yourself, you really are better than you sometimes pretend.
10. “Love yourself or no one else will.” – Unknown
And, finally, a well-worn quote that is often used in advice pages and columns, but one that no one actually knows who said it first, is the truism of ‘Love yourself or no one else will’. Loving yourself, teaches you how to love others and, until you can do that, no one will love you back.
What are your favorite motivational quotes about loving yourself?
Stay happy and love yourself!