10 Amazing happiness quotes that will motivate you to acquire true happiness and make it your life’s priority
Quotes are not merely just simple words; they have the power to inspire people and to bring about change in people’s lives. The wisdom in some of these quotes that we have selected might help to inspire you to look for true happiness, because happiness doesn’t just land in your lap, you have to make it happen. If you choose to look for happiness, then it will be possible to find it. Here are ten amazing quotes that will inspire you to make your own happiness a priority in your life.
1. “There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will.” – Epictetus
The Greek philosopher, Epictetus, was born in 55 A.D. But his wise words still ring true today. He was a great believer in fate and, perhaps, learning to accept what cannot be changed is a good place to begin your search for true happiness.
2. “Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.” ― Abraham Lincoln
You really can choose to be happy and can choose to make your own happiness a priority. Once you have taken that decision you can begin to make choices based on what will make you happy, rather than what you think will make other people happy.
3. “Everything is a gift of the universe – even joy, anger, jealously, frustration, or separateness. Everything is perfect either for our growth or our enjoyment.” – Ken Keyes Jr.
This is another wonderful happiness quote. If you look at everything in this upbeat way, then you will find it a lot easier to appreciate everything that you have in life. All of the things that we experience, even the bad things, they all teach us something and help us to grow as people.
4. “It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.” – Charles Spurgeon
Charles Spurgeon was a Baptist preacher in the 1800’s and, with this quote, he stresses that it is not material possessions that bring happiness, but how you choose to enjoy what you have. Money and possessions really don’t guarantee you happiness, but how much you appreciate things can.
5. “Try to make at least one person happy every day. If you cannot do a kind deed, speak a kind word. If you cannot speak a kind word, think a kind thought. Count up, if you can, the treasure of happiness that you would dispense in a week, in a year, in a lifetime!” – Lawrence G. Lovasik
Happiness can also be found through making other people around you happy. It’s a proven fact that doing good deeds for others improves your own mental well-being, so perhaps aiming to make one person a day happy, really could be the secret to achieving your own happiness.
6. ”I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.”– Martha Washington
Martha Washington, the wife of George Washington, demonstrates her own determination to be happy with this wonderful quote. Quite simply, we can choose whether or not we will let things get to us.
7. “True happiness is… to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Another way that you can hold back happiness is to be spending too much time worrying about the future. Making plans for the future and knowing where you want to go is one thing, but stressing about what might be, and what could go wrong, is not going to help you find happiness.
8. – “Security is when everything is settled, when nothing can happen to you; security is the denial of life.” – Germaine Greer
Germaine Greer, the famous feminist, has never been one to simply sit in her comfort zone, and with this quote, she reminds us that happiness isn’t found by playing it safe all the time. You have to take risks when you are looking for happiness; it’s the only real way that you can bring about change in your life.
9. “In our lives, change is unavoidable, loss is unavoidable. In the adaptability and ease with which we experience change, lies our happiness and freedom.” – Buddha
The Buddha has some wise words for us on the subject of change too. He says that change is inevitable and that it’s not something to fear, it’s how well that you adapt to that change that defines whether or not you will be happy.
10. “He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.” – Marcus Aurelius
Roman Emperor and philosopher, Marcus Aurelius, has perhaps the last piece in the jigsaw of what you need to do to achieve happiness. To be truly happy you need to learn to accept who you are and love yourself.
What are your favourite happiness quotes?