10 Beautiful and inspirational love quotes and sayings
Love is a wonderful, inexplicable thing. You know when you are in love, or you think you do, but try and explain love to someone who has never experienced it for real and you might find that quite hard to do. Here are ten inspirational sayings, from some well-known people, that try to explain love a bit better:
1. “I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you.” – Roy Croft
Well, this is just a part of what love is all about, but it is perhaps an important part. Love makes two people a whole, when they are together, otherwise it could just be infatuation.
2. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you… I could walk through my garden forever.” – Alfred Tennyson
When you need some beautiful words, ask a poet! This quote explains another aspect of love and that is that, even when you are apart, you are still in one another’s minds, whatever you are doing.
3. “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” – Oprah Winfrey
A far more eloquent way of saying, for better or worse, Oprah Winfrey puts a more modern perspective on this aspect of love. Quite simply, if you love someone for their possessions and money, then you don’t love them at all.
4. “Love is a better teacher than duty.” – Albert Einstein
This is another one of inspirational love quotes and sayings by one of the greatest minds ever. Usually thought of as the great man of physics, rather than a man of love, Albert Einstein was married twice and had children. Here he applies his mind to more down to earth matters with a quote that perhaps says that, when you love a person, you do things because you want to and not because you have to.
5. “You know you’re in love when you don’t want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” – Dr. Seuss
Children’s author, Dr Seuss, knew all about escaping reality, which make his wise words on love even more poignant. It’s true, that when you are deeply in love, falling asleep just seems like an awful waste of valuable time.
6. “The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart.” – Helen Keller
When you understand that Helen Keller was deaf and blind, you understand this quote even more. If anyone would understand the importance of the heart in love, then it would be her.
7. “A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.” – Ingrid Bergman
Perhaps words really can’t describe love and then, all you need, is a kiss with the right person to understand it. Sometimes that can say far more than any words could anyway.
8. “Love is a friendship set to music.” – Joseph Campbell
American mythologist, writer and lecturer, Joseph Campbell, put into words the fact that lovers need to be best friends too, but also that it’s a very special kind of friendship.
9. “At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.” – Plato
Greek philosopher, Plato, who was born around 425 BC, makes a point here that is still valid today, because everyone seems strangely to love poetry, flowers and romantic moves, when they are in love, even the men!
10. “If I know what love is, it is because of you.” – Herman Hesse
And finally, poet and author, Herman Hess, sums up the fact that you really can’t know what loves is, until you’ve rally been there yourself.
What are your favorite inspirational love quotes and sayings?