Every girl desires to have beautiful, shiny hair with big volume, but in our everyday life we use various tools that can damage our hair, such as blowdryer, curling iron, etc. This way, generous gift of nature, our hair, can be in danger.
In this article, lets look at some tips and tricks on how to take care of our curls and how to achieve the desired volume and shine.
We will skip the obvious part about the importance of washing your hair regularly and using a hair conditioner. Everybody already knows about this necessary ritual.
Miracle water that adds shine and makes your hair more silky:
After you washed and conditioned your hair as usual, try to rinse your locks with this natural hair treatment: mix 3 tablespoons of lemon juice (or vinegar) with 1 litter of water. This trick is one of my favorites to make my hair look and feel very healthy. You can add a drop of essential oil of your choice to fight the smell of vinegar (rose essential oil, for example).
Head massage is very beneficial, it improves blood circulation in your scalp, boosting your hair growth and making your locks healthier and thicker, if you do it regularly. Massage your head before or while washing your hair. Just move your fingertips in circular motions, gently vibrating and barely touching the scalp. Of course, it’s better and more pleasant if someone else can do it for you; but you know, I’ve already tried to do it myself and it’s totally possible.
Things to avoid if you want thick and shiny hair:
Lets talk about things that can be harmful for the beauty of your hair…
1) By all means try to avoid stress, which can be damaging not only for the beauty of your hair, but also for your general well-being.
2) Beautiful, thick and shiny hair needs vitamins and minerals, therefore, it’s quite important to keep your diet healthy and avoid unbalanced way of eating, as well as bad habits. For example, if there is not enough of iron in your organism, it can lead to thin hair with no volume.
3) Avoid metallic hair combs, because they can be really harsh and can damage your locks. The best and the most professional hair brush I’ve ever used is Mason Pearson Brush. This tool can make your hair truly luxurious, soft and easily manageable; it’s also an amazing tool for gentle scalp massage that can help improve blood circulation and encourage hair growth. Also, Mason Pearson brushes won’t cause split ends or scalp irritation, on the contrary, by brushing your locks with a good quality hair brush you will spread sebum evenly all over hair strands, making your locks look beautiful and healthy. There are different sizes of Mason Pearson Brushes that exist on the market, the large size is ideal for thick hair, for example. I know that it’s an investment, but it’s a worthy one and it will last you forever.
4) Avoid harsh and frequent blow drying. Of course, it’s alright to use blow dryer once in a while, but if you have a possibility (especially during the summer) it’s better and healthier for hair to leave it dry naturally and then, if you want some styling, I would recommend this amazing and easy to use tool – Infinitipro Spin Air Rotating Styler. This is once of my favourite all-in-one tools that can help you produce versatile hairstyles; Ion Technology gives you healthy and silky looking hair, and you can use it with or without spin function. But when you use this tool, do only top layers of your hair, this way the rest of your locks will stay untouched by the heat. And another great thing about this tool is that it’s very useful both for men and women. 🙂
How to add volume to your hair?
1) First thing to do is to chose right hair care products: shampoo, conditioner and hair mask should be suitable for your specific hair type. There is a big variety of hair care products on the market, and some of them can really help you achieve that desired volume.
You can also use volumizing sprays, mousses and powders.
One of the good ones on the market is TIGI Bed Head Superstar Queen Spray, I recommend it to anyone looking for massive volume. Or there is also another product for those who have fine hair, but desire more volume – Hair Powder Play Volumizing and Texturizing Powder. It powers up the volume, it’s weightless, has no colour and no smell to it, therefore, when you use it – it doesn’t feel like you’ve applied anything. It’s great!
2) Another great tip on how to give an impression of bigger volume is to chose right hairstyle. The best, volume amplifying looks include: bob and layered cuts. Layers of different lengths can visually add thickness and texture to your hair.
3) Third way to get more volume is to make some highlights on your locks, it will add dimension, giving an illusion of bigger volume. There are also different types of highlights. One of the best ones is when you chose more than one colour for your highlights. The result will look a lot more interesting and natural. When you do highlights, it’s better to do it in the salon (done by professionals); never attempt to do it by yourself, because the consequences will cost you a lot more. (I know it from experience :D)
4) Various homemade hair masks can also help you get thicker and healthier looking locks, here are some of them:
– One of the best and efficient homemade hair masks is very simple : mix honey and beer in proportions that you like. Apply it on the roots of your hair and then, spread the rest to the length. For better results, put on a plastic shower cap and a towel, keep the mask on your hair for about 30 minutes and then, wash your hair as usual. Your locks will be strengthened, will have more shine and volume. According to certain sources, this is one of the favourite hair masks of the actress Catherine Zeta Jones.
– Here is another homemade hair mask which will stimulate the growth of new healthy hair and, if you do it regularly, it will help thicken your hair as well. To make this miracle mask – mix ½ cup of yogurt, 1 egg and 1 tea spoon of cocoa powder. Apply this mask on the roots of your hair. Then put on a plastic shower cap and a towel for better results, keep this mask on your hair for about 25 minutes. Wash your hair with warm water using baby shampoo and condition as usual.
– This mask will help strengthen hair roots and will amplify hair volume: mix honey, sea salt and cognac in equal proportions. You can keep this mask in your fridge for about a week. Apply this mixture on the roots of your hair, put on shower cap and then, towel (it might look funny, I know); keep the mask on your hair for about 1 hour, then you can rinse it with or without shampoo. Condition as usual. This mask will make your hair healthier, thicker and stronger. Normally, you should notice the results after a couple of weeks of regular use (do hair mask 1 or 2 times a week). Positive properties of sea salt were even known to our ancestors, it’s very stimulating for hair growth. Honey is a real treasure of health, it heals and strengthens hair follicles and gives elasticity to your locks. Alcohol stimulates hair growth.
I hope you’ve found these tips useful. What helps you achieve thicker and shinier hair? Please share your own beauty recipes and homemade hair masks in the comments section below.