In today’s post I want to share with you 11 ways to create a homemade shampoo which can be a great alternative to your usual hair products. This can be useful when you don’t have your habitual shampoo at hand, you want to switch to the natural homemade cosmetics or you just desire to take a break from regular shampoos filled with chemicals. I will also tell you how I wash my hair and which homemade shampoo is my favourite.
Personally, I don’t agree with the idea of washing our hair daily, I used to do it before and now I prefer to do it only every 5 days or once a week and I can notice a significant difference in the way my hair looks and feels: shinier, thicker and more alive (even though I make blonde highlights every month).
Let me start by my favourite ingredient in a homemade shampoo: an egg.
Yes, it probably sounds strange, but I know, it works wonders. Eggs are very rich in vitamins, minerals, protein and other amazing ingredients that can benefit the beauty of your curls tremendously. My hair became softer, thinker, and shinier when I started to wash my hair using this wonder of our nature. Only remember, scrambled eggs are good and tasty when you eat them, but to make an omelette on your head is not very pleasant experiment, so never use hot water together with an egg 🙂
Let me tell you about different ways how you can use an egg to wash your hair.
1) First way to create a homemade shampoo using an egg is simple: mix 2 or 3 eggs (depending on the length of your hair) in the bowl prior to applying it on your hair and wash your hair with it, as if it was your usual shampoo. Then, condition your hair with your conditioner to get rid of egg’s smell and to make your hair softer. You can also use a homemade rinsing substance instead of conditioner, if you decide to go “all natural”. To prepare great rinsing water: mix 2 table spoons of vinegar (or lemon juice) with 1 litter of water and 3 drops of aromatic oil that smells great, and rinse your hair after you washed it. Your hair will become shinier and healthier looking. This is my favourite and usual way to wash my hair. But sometime, I like to improvise and play with ingredients. Lets talk about it more in depth…
2) Another way to wash your hair with homemade shampoo using an egg is: take 3 egg yolks and mix it thoroughly with 3 table spoons of honey. Then apply this “shampoo” on your wet hair, massage it well into your scalp and spread on the lengths of your hair. You will notice how pleasant is the feeling of this natural homemade mixture and how your hair will “thank you”. You can use your usual conditioner after this shampoo or just leave it as is after you rinsed your hair very well.
3) Here is a recipe of homemade shampoo for oily hair: mix 2 eggs thoroughly, add 2 teaspoons of Vodka (or cognac) and 3 drops of lemon juice. Then wash your hair with it and rinse well with warm then cold water.
4) If you have dry hair try to make this shampoo: mix well 2 or 3 egg’s yolks with a little bit of warm water (not a hot water, because you know what happens with an egg in the hot water :)), add 3 (or more) drops of olive oil, but pay attention not to add too much of it, because the hair can look greasy. Wash your hair with this mixture and you will notice the significant difference in the way your hair will look. At the end of every hair wash, use a conditioner or rinse with the mixture of “vinegar+water” that i mentioned earlier.
5) Another simple way to make a great natural homemade shampoo: mix 2 eggs with 2 table spoons of lemon juice, add 1 table spoon of honey and 3 drops of olive oil. Massage this “shampoo” into your scalp and spread it on the hair, then rinse with lukewarm water. This is a very easy and simple way to get your hair clean, shiny and healthy, using only natural ingredients. This shampoo is good for all hair types, its very nourishing and moisturising.
Baking soda is a great ingredient for homemade shampoo. I would recommend to use the shampoo with baking soda only once or twice a month, because it will really strip your hair from all the dirt, will remove buildup and excess sebum, but doing it often is not beneficial. Baking soda ingredient in your homemade shampoo will make your hair shinier and healthier looking. There are different ways to prepare a shampoo using baking soda.
6) One of the easiest ways is to mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 3 egg’s yolks and wash your hair with it as you would do with your usual shampoo. After you massaged it into your hair, rinse well. (You can use your usual conditioner after.)
7) Another way to create a homemade shampoo using baking soda is: mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda in the middle of your palm with some water and work it into paste. Massage this paste into your scalp and then, rinse your hair as usual. Baking soda will help to strip your hair from the dirt.
8) Blend 1 ripe avocado in the blender, add 1 tablespoon of baking soda and a little bit of water. Wash your hair with this natural shampoo and enjoy great results.
9) Mix these ingredients: 1 tablespoon of soda, 1 egg, 2 table spoons of Vodka, add a little bit of water. Wash your hair with this homemade shampoo and you will notice how much your hair will “like” it.
As I already mentioned, it’s not recommended to use often a shampoo with the use baking soda ingredient.
10) Usually we wash our hair using water, but there is another way – dry shampoo. It’s ideal at those moments when you are in a hurry and you want your hair to look fresh and clean immediately. In this case, there is no even need to spend money on dry shampoos, just do it yourself using cornstarch and actually, you don’t even need to do any work. When you start looking oily, just apply cornstarch on the roots of your hair and spread it all over your scalp, then, brush, brush, brush. This is a very simple and efficient way to make your hair look fresh and clean in matter of seconds.
Shampoo with the use of gelatine.
11) This is one of my favourite and easy ways to make my hair look shinier and thicker.
First prepare your gelatine: mix one table spoon of powder gelatine with some water and leave it for 30 minutes. Then, after 30 minutes heat this mixture on a warm bath till gelatine dissolves completely in the water (don’t boil it), and let it cool a little bit (you don’t want scrambled eggs on your head). Then add 2 egg’s yolks, mix it all very well and wash your hair with this homemade shampoo. (You can keep this mixture on your head for 10 minutes for better results.) This homemade shampoo is good for normal and oily hair. Your hair will look amazing if you do everything right.
There are a lot more ways to create natural homemade shampoo. The key is to find the one that suits your specific needs and feels good for you.
What are your favourite homemade shampoo recipes? Please, share your thoughts with me in the comment’s section.
Stay beautiful and shine always!