10 Tips on how to make your hair grow faster
One day I saw a bob hairstyle in a magazine and decided to go for it! So, I got rid of my long and shiny, at the time, locks and was happy with my new, easily manageable and cute bob hairstyle. But, as the time went by, I started to miss my long, gorgeous hair, just as it happens to most girls, who cut their long strands, carried away by the fleeting impulse of enthusiasm. So, I started to look for answers to the question that many ladies ask: ‘How to make your hair grow faster?’ If you are in similar situation, or you just wonder what makes hair grow faster, let me share with you some tips.
The rate at which your hair grows is genetic and it normally grows at around a quarter to a half an inch every month. You can, however, do things to increase the growth rate of your hair and improve on the thickness and the healthiness of your locks. If you want long and luscious locks of hair, then read these ten tips on how to make your hair grow longer, faster and more beautiful:
1) As your hair grows, it is important to keep it in good condition, so you will be trimming your locks off again to get rid of split ends. Using a hair masks is a great way to keep your hair looking wonderful and here is extremely great and efficient hair mask, that will not only help your hair grow faster, but also will make your locks look shinier, healthier and even more beautiful: mix in a small bowl – one yolk of an egg with a tablespoon of honey, one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (or linen oil) and a tablespoon of Vodka (or Cognac). Massage this mixture into the roots of your hair and then, spread to the lengths; wait for about thirty minutes. For better results you can put a shower cup on your head and cover it up with a towel, but make sure that your special someone doesn’t see you wearing this extravagant construction on your head, as this might not look very seductive. After the thirty minutes, wash and condition your hair, as usual. You will be astonished with amazing results, especially, if you do this mask regularly, once a week or once every two weeks, during one month or two.
If you don’t find an egg mask too appealing, then try a coconut oil, sweet almond oil and honey hair mask. Simply mix these three ingredients in equal proportions, warm it slightly in a pot and massage the mixture into your hair; leave for about thirty minutes before washing out. This wonderful natural hair treatment will nourish and rejuvenate your hair, making it shinier and glossier, while also boosting hair growth.
2) Do you want to know how to make your hair grow faster? Eat protein! Not only our outside beauty efforts, massages and sophisticated hair masks are important, but also, if you really want to have thick and beautiful locks, then watch what you eat! Did you know that food can make a tremendous difference in how fast your hair grows? Protein provides a building material for your hair to grow quicker, look healthier and be stronger, as protein is the very stuff that hair is made from, so the more protein you eat, the more your hair can grow; so make sure to include eggs, nuts, fish, chicken, red meats, etc., into your balanced diet. Eat healthy and your hair will say: ‘Thank you!’
3) Brush your hair every day for 1 or 2 minutes, do it every morning and every evening to stimulate circulation in your scalp. Make sure to massage your head gently, it’s not working by the principle ‘the harder you brush, the faster it grows!’ Gently brushing your hair twice a day for, at least, two minutes stimulates the blood circulation in your scalp and spreads your natural oils evenly over your hair. Healthy blood circulation is essential for hair follicles to work efficiently and grow new healthy hair. Remember never to forcefully brush your hair when it’s wet, because it can damage your locks and cause breakage. We don’t want it, because we love our hair, right?! Instead, gently brush through your hair with a wide tooth comb or use a special detangling brush for a smooth and pain free detangling.
4) Massage your scalp every time you shampoo your hair; do it gently, use your fingers, massage your head for about a minute or two, push and move the skin around your head, and it will stimulate the blood flow in your scalp and help your hair grow faster.
5) Here is another simple hair mask that will help your hair grow faster; for this treatment you’ll need some potato juice! Yes, i know, it might sound bizarre, but it works! Isn’t it the most important?! At least, potato juice smells better, than an onion juice, for example. (Quick note: onion juice hair masks can be really great in helping to boost your hair shine, as well as hair growth, but it smells pretty horrendous, and that smell won’t go anywhere for weeks! This is the main reason why, I don’t suggest you using onion juice masks for hair growth, nor for any other hair treatments!) So, how do we make our potato hair mask? Juice two big fresh potatoes, add a tablespoon of raw honey and one yolk of an egg.
Apply this mixture to your hair (mainly apply it to the roots), wait for half an hour and shampoo your hair, as you usually do. This hair mask is amazingly effective and, most importantly, it’s all natural!
6) Healthy and beautiful hair starts with a healthy scalp…It’s logical, isn’t it? This is why it’s extremely important to take a great care of your scalp. Here is one easy tip: never apply a hair conditioner to the roots of your hair! Not only it will cause the loss of volume and your hair might get oily very quickly, but also, some hair conditioners contain waxes and silicons and, if you apply them to your scalp on a regular basis, it can prevent the skin on your head from breathing and clog pores. Conclusion: apply your hair conditioner only on the length of your hair.
7) If you want more tips on how to make your hair grow faster, try warm oil scalp massage. It’s a very easy trick, but it works wonders! Just heat up a little bit of oil (my most loved oils for this purpose are: linen oil, olive oil, coconut oil, argan oil and jojoba oil); never boil the oil, just slightly warm it up, so that it’s pleasantly warm and comfortable to touch, then, gently massage your scalp with this treatment or ask your partner to do it for you. If you have a friend or, better, a lover, who will give you this wonderful head massage, this experience will become even more pleasant! Ask them to massage your head, gently going through the roots of your hair in circular motions. This scalp massage can last for about fifteen or twenty minutes; then spread the oil on the length of your hair, wait for about half an hour and shampoo your locks thoroughly; you might even need to shampoo your hair twice. Not only this experience is very relaxing, but also, you will love the result. This treatment works wonders for the hair growth and makes your tresses look very shiny, glossy and healthy, especially, if you do it regularly.
8) Care for your hair while sleeping. Probably, you are wondering: ‘How in the world is it possible to care for my hair, when I sleep?’ Yes, it’s actually as easy, as pie. First of all, never sleep with a tight ponytail or a tight braid, it definitely won’t help your hair grow faster and can even cause breakage of your hair and pain in your scalp. Make a loose ponytail instead. And the second tip for an efficient night hair care is this – try to sleep on a silk pillow case; it won’t cause friction and it’s much kinder to your hair, than cotton pillow covers. And, by the way, silk pillow case is not only beneficial for your hair, but it also can help prevent facial wrinkles from appearing. What a wonder is this silk: healthy and shiny hair, plus wrinkle-free skin on your face! Just perfect!
9) How to make your hair grow faster? Try overnight castor oil hair treatment. Using castor oil on your hair can have astonishing and wonderful effects. It’s all simple: just massage your hair with castor oil before you go to bed and leave it on overnight; then, the next morning, wash and condition your hair, as usual. Do this treatment once or twice a week for a couple of weeks and you will be astonished by the amazing difference in the health of your hair! It works wonders for hair growth! Also, castor oil can help you to grow longer lashes and thicker eyebrows, isn’t it a good bonus?!
10) Rinse with apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is a great way to remove the dirt, grime and pollution that can accumulate on your hair, as well as strip away the residue that is left by hair products. Not only apple cider vinegar can help boost your hair growth, but also, being a natural detangling and shine improving treatment, it can tremendously change the appearance of your locks, of course, for better – hair becomes softer, shinier, stronger and looks healthier! Add two tablespoons of vinegar into a litter of water and rinse your hair with this homemade healthy conditioner; use this treatment as the final step of your shampooing/conditioning routine. If you aren’t a big fan of vinegar odor, then add a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil into your apple cider vinegar rinse, such as rose essential oil, for example (or you can mix lemon juice with water, in the same proportion, instead of using apple cider vinegar).
Another substitute of apple cider vinegar rinse, that can also make your hair shinier, healthier and stronger, as well as it can improve hair growth – is rose water. Just spray some rose water to your already clean shampooed hair, gently massaging it into your scalp in circular motions, then apply your regular hair conditioner to the lengths of your hair avoiding the roots, leave this treatment on for a couple of minutes, before washing off with lukewarm water. Great and simple, but most importantly – it works!
Foods that make your hair grow faster, denser and healthier:
What foods make your hair grow faster? Just like the rest of your body, your hair needs vitamins, minerals and nourishment, for it to be able to grow and stay healthy. Changing your diet to make your hair grow thicker and longer may not give you instant results, but it will give you long lasting ones. Here are ten foods that you can add to your healthy and balanced diet that are known to promote the growth of thick, long and healthy hair:
1. Eggs – wonderful, versatile source of protein
Your hair is basically made up of protein, and eggs are a fantastic and versatile source of protein. So, including eggs into your diet is another good tip on how to make your hair grow faster. Chicken and duck eggs contain minerals, such as sulphur, iron and zinc, which are also needed for healthy hair growth.
2. Beta-carotene in sweet potatoes
You also need plenty vitamin A for good hair growth. Every cell in your body, in fact, needs vitamin A and it also helps in the production of the natural oils in your scalp, so it will stop your head from becoming dry and itchy. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta-carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A, as also are carrots and pumpkin.
3. Salmon – a true superstar of hair-healthy foods
How to make your hair grow faster? Eat more salmon! Salmon is a true superstar in our list of foods for long and thick hair. Salmon contains plenty of the Omega-3 fatty acids that your hair needs for becoming healthier, thicker and glossier, so salmon is the perfect healthy hair growth food to add to your diet.
4. Avocado – fabulous source of natural fatty acids
Avocados are another great source of amazing, natural fatty acids. Great on their own, with salads or in sandwiches, avocados are packed with the good fats that your body and hair need and, you can always use them in a hair mask too, if you don’t feel like eating them.
5. Oysters – the treasure house of zinc
A lack of zinc in your diet can lead to hair loss and oysters are very rich in zinc, as well as they contain plenty of protein. If you don’t like the taste of oysters, you can also get zinc from fortified breakfast cereals and whole grain bread.
6. Vitamin C rich blueberries, kiwis, limes, strawberries, lemons and oranges
Fresh fruit, such as blueberries, limes, strawberries, kiwis and oranges contain lots of vitamin C, and your hair really does need vitamin C, because it plays a vital role in the blood circulation in the tiny vessels that feed your hair follicles. With insufficient vitamin C content in your diet, your hair is more vulnerable to breakage. Brussels sprouts are also particularly rich in Vitamin C.
7. Iron, zinc and protein in lean red meats
A lack of iron in your diet can also be a cause of thinning hair. Including lean red meat, such as beef, veal and lamb in your balanced diet will provide you with both protein and the essential mineral – iron.
8. Get your greens: spinach, collards, Brussels sprouts, kale and broccoli
Another good suggestion on how to make your hair grow faster is to include into your healthy diet fresh green leafy vegetables, like spinach, collards, kale, Brussels sprouts and broccoli, which are a great source of the vitamins and minerals that are needed for healthy hair growth. Spinach and Brussels sprouts, in particular, are a wonderful source of beta carotene, iron and vitamin C, all of which will feed and nourish your hair and promote a healthy supply of blood to the hair follicles.
9. Hair-healthy nuts: walnuts, cashews, butternuts, almonds, macadamia nuts, pecans and hazelnuts
Walnuts, cashews and butternuts contain a significant amount of Omega-3 fatty acids and are also rich in vitamins and biotin, which helps make your hair grow faster, thicker and longer, as well as to protect the cells of your hair from the sun. Almonds also are very high in biotin. You can eat walnuts, cashews, butternuts and almonds as a snack, use walnut or almond oil as a salad dressing or as a cooking oil, to reap all the benefits that these nuts have to offer. Macadamia nuts, pecans and hazelnuts are also very hair-healthy, but avoid buying them covered in sugar, chocolate or salt.
10. Protein in lean turkey, duck, emu or chicken
To get all the protein that your hair needs to grow long and thick, poultry is a great alternative to red meat. Chicken, duck, emu and turkey provide all the building blocks that your hair needs to grow healthier and denser, and their meet also contains a good supply of iron and zinc.
There are many other foods that help your hair grow faster and thicker. Hair is almost all protein, so make sure to include protein-rich food in your healthy and balanced diet.
How to make your hair grow faster naturally? What are your favorite foods and products that make hair grow faster and healthier?
Final hair tips:
And finally, always be gentle with your hair, because rough treatment can pull hair out or break it. Your hair is more fragile when it’s wet, so dry your locks gently with a towel and avoid rough brushing too.
Another thing to remember, is that hair products might make your hair look great at the time, but the more you use them, the more damage you do to your locks. Your hair needs to be able to breathe, to grow and so, the less product that you use, the healthier your hair will be.
It’s a myth that cutting your locks regularly will make your hair grow faster; it makes no difference at all! The fact is though, if you trim your hair regularly, it will remove any damaged or split ends early, before the damage can spread further up the strands of your hair. This will mean that, overall, you will have to cut off less hair.
Now, when you know some tips on how to make your hair grow faster, try, experiment, play, but most impertinently, love yourself!
What is your favorite secret on how to accelerate hair growth? Please, share your thoughts and hair tips in the comment section below.
Stay beautiful, shine everywhere, shine always!