14 Unexpected uses of baking soda for beauty and health
Uses of baking soda are countless. Baking soda isn’t toxic and is extremely effective. Let me share with you 14 unexpected uses of baking soda you might want to try:
1) Add baking soda in your bath to make your skin softer
Before taking a bath, add a half cup of baking soda into your bathtub. It will make your skin softer and smoother.
2) One of the very unexpected uses of baking soda is: use it as a deodorant. Put 3 table spoons of baking soda into the bowl and add 3-5 drops of your favourite essential oil (my favorites are rose and lavender essential oils), mix it all together and your deodorant is ready. Apply it with a powder puff or a kabuki brush onto your underarms, it will efficiently neutralize the body odor.
3) You can use baking soda as a face scrub. Just mix in your hand 1 table spoon of baking soda with 2-3 table spoons of water and gently massage it into your face for about 1 minute in circular motions, then – rinse. This gentle scrub will make your skin very soft and smooth. I love using it one or two times a week.
4) Baking soda body scrub: mix 3 table spoons of baking soda with 1 table spoon of milled oatmeal and add 3 table spoons of water. You will get an amazing hydrating and refreshing body scrub. Rub this paste into your body in circular motions and then, wash with warm water. This baking soda body scrub will help to remove dead cells from the surface of your skin, making your body baby soft and very smooth. You can also use this scrub for your face, but remember – always be gentle with your face, never rub too hard!
5) Baking soda shampoo. Mix baking soda with your favourite shampoo to get a wonderful purifying shampoo that will cleanse your hair from the residue that styling products leave behind. Mix one table spoon of soda with one table spoon of your favourite shampoo and wash your hair with this mix. After rinsing thoroughly, you will notice that your hair will become squeaky clean and more easily manageable. It’s not an everyday shampoo though. It’s great to wash your hair with this baking soda shampoo once or twice a month. For similar result you can also wash your hair with just baking soda plus water – this is one of the most popular uses of baking soda.
6) Baking soda mouthwash. To create an easy baking soda mouthwash, mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 3 drops of peppermint essential oil (or eucalyptus essential oil) in a glass of water. Your mouthwash is ready! It will freshen your breath and neutralise bacteria.
7) How to whiten teeth naturally? Well, there are two ways to whiten teeth. You can simply apply baking soda on your toothbrush and brush your teeth with it as usual, but I prefer a slightly different variation. Here is another way you can whiten your teeth: put your favourite toothpaste on your brush and then, put a little bit of baking soda on top of it (it will stick to the toothpaste) and brush your teeth with this mix. (Don’t be harsh, brush gently in circular motions for about 2 minutes). This is not for an everyday use. You can brush your teeth this way during 2 or 3 days to make them whiter and then, switch to your usual brushing routine. Also, keep in mind that it’s not recommended to use this method, if you have sensitive teeth. It’s best to ask for advice from a professional, if you want to whiten your teeth.
8) Another baking soda face scrub: mix 1 table spoon of organic honey (make sure you are not allergic to honey) with one table spoon of baking soda, mix thoroughly until you obtain the paste (you can add a little bit of water, if it’s too sticky); gently, in circular motions massage your face with this mix; do it for about a minute or two. This face scrub will cleanse your skin, removing dead cells; it also has an antibacterial properties thanks to honey.
9) Wash your makeup brushes using baking soda, it will help to remove oils build-up and residue from cosmetic products. Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 1 cup of water. Soak your makeup brushes in this solution, then rinse with water and let them dry.
10) Create your own perfumed bags to freshen the air: mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with 3-5 drops of essential oil of your choice (lavender, jasmine or rose) and put this mixture in small sachet bags. Then, place them wherever you like and enjoy amazing odor! If you do it with lavender essential oil, you can place it in your bedroom – lavender will make your sleep pleasant and relaxing.
11) One of the most common uses of baling soda – wash fruits and vegetables with it. It’s natural, easy and efficient.
12) Add one tea spoon of baking soda into a vase of freshly cut flowers, this will keep flowers fresh for longer.
13) If you have a rush, insect bite or bee sting on your skin, rub baking soda into this place and you will be relieved.
14) If you have a sore tooth, use baking soda as your mouth wash (1 teaspoon of baking soda + half cup of water). Pain will diminish.
I hope you found this uses of baking soda interesting!
Please share your own tips and unexpected uses of baking soda in the comment section below.